- Marinate Time
- 30 mins
- Prep Time
- 10 mins
- Total Time
- 40 mins
- 2 tbsp
- Compliments Butter
- 1 cup
- Compliments Pearl Barley
- 1 tsp
- poultry seasoning
- 2 cartoon
- Compliments reduced sodium chicken broth
- 32 ounces
- smoked turkey drumsticks (about 11/4 pounds)
- 2 cups
- Compliments Organic Frozen Mixed Vegetables
- Freshly ground pepper
- Step 1
- In a 5 to 6-quart pan, combine butter and barley over medium-high heat.
- Step 2
- Stir often until barley is lightly browned, 4-5 minutes.
- Step 3
- Add poultry seasoning and broth; bring to a boil over high heat.
- Step 4
- Reduce heat slightly, cover pan tightly, and boil while you continue with the next step.
- Step 5
- Cut meat off drumsticks and cut meat into bite-sized pieces.
- Step 6
- Add to barley mixture.
- Step 7
- Simmer barley and turkey mixture (covered) until barley is tender but still chewy to bite, about 25 minutes from when barley began to boil.
- Step 8
- Uncover pan, add frozen vegetables and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender-crisp to bite, about 5 more minutes.
- Step 9
- If you prefer softer barley, simmer soup for another 10-20 minutes until barley is done to your liking.
- Step 10
- Season soup to taste with pepper and serve hot.
Turkey Technique: Getting the meat off smoked turkey drumsticks can be a bit tricky.First, use a small, sharp knife to cut as much meat as possible off the main bone first. Then, use your fingers to pull off skin and remove smaller bones and tendons from the meat.
Disclaimer: We seek to be accurate with respect to the ingredients, nutritional information, product images and descriptions listed on our website, however, this information may change from time to time. Please always refer to the product package for the most current and accurate ingredient and nutrition information or other product information.